Tel: 01179505050 – Option 4 – Booking Enquiries/Appointment Centre
General Enquiries Tel: 0117 414 5225
Address: Southmead Road, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, Avon, BS10 5NB
Southmead Hospital Bristol
Telephone: 0117 414 0551
Renal Community Team
Renal Transplant Team
Gate 8A Tel: 0117 414 2161
Gate 8B Tel: 0117 414 4800 and 0117 414 4801
The Inpatient Service
If you need admission to hospital because of your kidney problem this will usually be to –
Gate 8B, Level 4
The inpatient service is managed by a Modern Matron.
When in hospital you will be medically managed by a team of doctors, led by a Consultant. If you or your family wish to talk to one of the team please ask the nursing staff.
Renal Haemodialysis Unit
The Renal Dialysis Unit is situated near Gate 5 on Level 1
Tel: 0117 414 3540
There are three dialysis sessions per day:
- Morning (7.00am – 2.00pm)
- Afternoon (1.00pm – 7.00pm)
- Twilight (6.00pm – 2.00am)
Acute Dialysis Team
Tel: 0117 414 8823
The renal diabetes service is led by a Clinical Nurse Specialist who is supported by a team of qualified renal diabetic nurses throughout the unit.
It is very important that your diabetes is well controlled and the diabetic team will discuss various treatments with you.
In 2014 the renal unit moved to the Brunel building at Southmead Hospital.
The original Richard Bright Renal Unit was named after Dr. Richard Bright (1789-1858) who was one of the most outstanding Physicians from the 19th century.
The unit covers an area within a 50-60 mile radius of Bristol and with a population of approx 1.7 million.
The aim of the Unit is to provide high quality and efficient medical care to all renal patients, ensuring that support, guidance and education are available for both patient and family so that the best quality of life possible can be achieved.
Satellite Haemodialysis Units
Satellite units are haemodialysis centres managed by nursing staff away from the main hospital renal unit.
Most people are able to have dialysis treatment in a satellite unit near where they live but if you have some medical condition or if a doctor may be needed during your dialysis you may need to travel to the main unit for dialysis.
These are the Satellite Units:
- Bath – Royal United Hospital, Tel. 01225 825953
- Bright (on Southmead site), Tel. 0117 414 3652
- South Bristol – Knowle Health Park, Tel. 0117 4140430
- Ambleside – Weston-Super-Mare Hospital, Tel. 01934 647181
- Yeovil (privately run) – Abbey Manor Park, Village Centre, Tel. 01935 847290
- Taunton (privately run) – Dean Gate Avenue, Tel. 01823 424510
- Frome (privately run) – Ennos Way, off Rodden Road, Tel. 01373 461513
- Cossham Hospital Bristol, Tel. 0117 4108550