Membership Information

BAKPA is a local charity formed in 1973 to supplement the work of the Renal Unit at Southmead Hospital in Bristol, and its satellite units throughout the south west.

Membership of BAKPA entitles you to use of our BAKPA Properties

The Bristol property is for you and your family if you require in-patient treatment at the Richard Bright Renal Unit and live too far away to travel (subject to availability). Our new Torquay property can be used for holidays. Note: Other than the person designated as carer, anyone over 16 accompanying you must be an Associate member.

Sign up or renew online

There are 2 membership levels; Annual Ongoing and 1 year. Both are £2.

Signup via post

Membership via post run from January to December.

Need a paper form? If you are unable to use the online form, please contact the membership secretary for a paper form.

If you already have a paper form: Send it to our membership secretary with a cheque for the correct amount. Bank account details can be given on request for a bank transfer.

Stephen Nicholls Esq
9 Medina Close
South Gloucestershire
BS35 2DJ

Membership Fees

  • Patient and 1 carer – £2 per annum each (i.e. £4 total)
  • Associate member – £2 per annum per person (additional family members and other supporters)

Full Member – Patient You must be a patient at the Renal Unit of Southmead Hospital. Full members have voting rights. You must be a full member for your family to use Hales House while you are an in-patient at the Renal Unit.

Full Member – Carer You must be the major carer/spouse/partner of the named patient.

Associate Member Kidney failure affects whole families, we welcome relatives and friends to join as Associate members. If you are over 16 years old you must be an Associate member to accompany a full member and use Hales House while a full member is in hospital.

Gift Aid

Using Gift Aid means that for every pound you give, we get an extra 25p from HMRC, helping your donation go further. If you are a UK taxpayer, all you have to do is tick the Gift Aid box. Note: To qualify for Gift Aid, what you pay in income tax or capital gains tax must at least equal the amount we will claim in the tax year.

Please notify us if you:

  • want to cancel this declaration
  • change your name or home address
  • no longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains

If you pay Income Tax at the higher or additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self-Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code.

Scroll to Top